Friday, May 9, 2008

Tact

Today my mom had a conversation with Drew that must have been about her age (a manners infraction itself that I guess we should work on!) because at one point he said to her encouragingly, "Hey, Grandmama, only [correct double-digit number] until you're 70!"

Thinking about it reminded me of two other instances where more tact could have been in order, one that just happened yesterday as I was having my hair cut. There were several breaches of politeness during the haircut, actually, but the best one was when she finished and said with a sigh, "Well, the back looks good, anyway." She did get a tip, though, for having asked if I was a student. :-)

The other instance happened a few weeks after Chase was born and we were all in the car headed for church. I said half-glumly, half-teasingly to Dave, "Will you still love me if I never get back to a size [what I was previous to...well, Ryan's birth...]?" There was an uncomfortable pause before he replied - was that nervously? - " Don't worry, honey, you'll get back to [said size]." NOT the correct answer!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

LOL at the "tactless" situations. Sounds like Drew makes up for in math skills what he is (temporarily, I'm sure!) lacking in tact.

That last one is just too funny. Definitely something my DH would have done!

Hannah said...

Oh boy. I bet we could all play "Top THAT!" on this subject. I have witnessed my son tell another woman she looked pregnant, quite innocently. Arghh!
BTW, I forgot to comment on your story about leaving for tee-ball, but I felt my blood pressure rising while I read it. Was it because it sounded so stressful, or so familiar? ;-)