Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Flexible Structure

I posted at length on this topic last year, I know - but it's still such a tricky balance. Dave and I both agreed recently, some time around my last cheerful post, that it was time to rein everyone in again and put more structure back into the kids' day. I had been going for the "lazy, hazy days of summer" feel around here, but apparently that just makes everyone crazy. :-) At any rate, Sunday night I refreshed the magnet boards that list their daily chores and responsibilities (they move the magnets from one side to the other when the chores have been completed, I made some sticker charts, and I made a schedule for the next day. Aimee, having been informed earlier of my intent, woke up happily on Monday morning, dressed quickly, cleaned her room, and was altogether a different student during schoolwork. I had explained to her that she was allowed to have her own likes and dislikes, of course, and she could express them in a respectful manner at appropriate times, but that we were also going to work at doing our school without complaining and fighting. I made the sticker charts to help keep her accountable in this area, and she responded beautifully. It's clear - again - that she thrives and shines in an environment where she knows just what to expect at any given time. It's funny how it seems she only needs to have what's expected of her written down somewhere. Drew, too, did better yesterday, although he still struggled with rather violent emotions. I did a couple things with him, and it was interesting to note that he finds the math, in particular, so easy that he acts bored with it, yet verbally expresses continued frustration that school is just too hard for him. I didn't do any handwriting with him, because, in answer to Hannah's query, it's really not all that important to me that he do it right now. Actually, he writes very well - just as he reads above average and has well above average math skills. I guess I had hoped that he wouldn't even notice his slightly increased workload as we tapped into his haphazard brilliance. But it IS true that he's sensitive to the emotions around him, so he may be different creature altogether if we can lessen the tension in the air. And speaking of air, the weather has been so humid, and while Drew's asthma hasn't given him any probems in quite some time, in times when he's unusually moody and hard to handle, I wonder if perhaps the oppressive weather is affecting him particularly aversely - maybe he just feels crummy!

But back to flexible structure - we began this morning according to schedule, and then during breakfast the kids trailed out and began playing together. When at 9, I was nearly going to call out that it was time for chores, I caught myself as I watched all four children trot around the living room in a line, whinnying like horses. How could I interrupt something like that?! That's one of the indisputable, priceless benefits of homeschooling, I think, although it poses the challenge of constantly being wise enough to strike just the right balance. I wonder if I'll ever master it completely - I doubt it, but in the meantime, I suppose the process of figuring it out is one way we're all growing and learning together.

No comments: