Sunday, July 6, 2008

More...

When Hannah posted her comment requesting more information about Aimee at camp, I thought I could just post a link to last year's camp entry, but it seems that didn't have much information, besides clues to my own neuroses. :-) So I'll offer a few more details... I began going to this particular church camp when I was just barely on the fringes of middle school, so there were several camp weeks for me that were devoted primarily to thoughts of BOYS. Other memories managed to survive, though, and those were of great missionary and Bible meetings (yes, some produced those wrenching but shallow emotions, but most were solid teaching times), incredible friends (some of which became pen-pals - back in the day! - for years), and rolicking fun. Because my parents were well known in the District of our denomination, I knew many of the counselors and other administrators (the camp nurse, for instance, was present when I was born!), and they and the friends I met were almost like an extended family to me. My mom began going as an assistant camp nurse after I graduated - I think I would have been mortified if she had been there during any of my camp years! - and so when Aimee approached the earliest age to attend, I was all the more open to the idea of her going. Aimee, of course, thought it sounded like heaven, and so last year we signed her up and she rode down with my mom. She stayed in a cabin with a counselor and other girls, of course, but my mom kept an eye on her and called to give daily reports. Mom couldn't go this year, but Aimee was unphased and wouldn't think of anything else but going again. Because we're attending a church in this District again, she was able to register with a church group, as well as ride down with them, which was just thrilling for her. I was glad that Dave volunteered to drive ( and the drive was actually only 1 1/2 hours), so that someone familiar could at least be there to settle her in, but overall I think she'll be more than fine. She'll be there for five nights, returning on Friday. Just as she returns, by the way, I will be leaving with a friend for a seminar in Virginia. Exciting, but nervewracking!

No comments: