Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Some Droll Characters :-)





One of our rabbits kindled last night, and we had to bring the two resulting babies inside to warm them (they were nearly frozen when Dave went out to check on them). I showed them to the kids this morning, and when Drew peered into the box, he exclaimed, "Aww, they're such droll little creatures!" I'd like to say I kept a straight face, but that was too difficult, and fortunately, he didn't notice my great amusement. I think he picked that expression up from Mr. Popper's Penguins, which he and Aimee just finished listening to on CD, and while "droll" probably would be a good description for performing penguins, I'm not sure it really applies to rabbit babies. Judge for yourself:















The last picture is from another litter that was just born this afternoon. All the babies, except one, whose rather bizarre deformities fortunately can't be seen in the picture, are healthy, and the first litter fed this morning, which is a good sign. Because of the stress and adjustment from the move, it's been months since we've had any babies survive past the first week, so we're hoping things will begin to change for the better with this round of litters.


We also have new chicks, though not ones our own hens hatched. I've been looking for blue-egg laying chickens, and we just discovered some at our local feed store. So here are our new Americaunas:



2 comments:

Hannah said...

Awww ... we've been wanting Americaunas -- love those blue eggs!
The rabbits are SO tiny! Not sure I'd call them droll, but your little guy sure is droll! :-)

Tracee said...

I love your new pictures. Your family is just lovely. :)