Saturday, January 1, 2011

Now That We've Moved...Let's Get Moving

So.

Have you ever caught yourself telling yourself repeatedly, and over way too long a time period, that once things settle down, you'll get back on track (with whatever - keeping the house clean, keeping a good routine going, eating healthy, homeschooling, maybe all of the above!). And then you start to realize that you just need to buckle down, lady, and DO IT.

The entire last year was one of major events and transitions, and while sometimes, try as I might, I just couldn't help but let things slide, I felt like I was always in survival mode. From the last throes of morning sickness to the burdens of a burgeoning pregnancy, to a birth and subsequent baby-moon, to a colicky infant for a couple months, to a huge move in a short amount of time.... At what point does survival mode become an excuse for avoiding real life? Or, perhaps just not realizing that this just IS real life, and not life "on hold"?

I didn't get enough sleep last night, which is why I'm indulging in cheap philosophy. Do forgive. Survival mode is in fact real, but so is that truth that sometimes you just have to put your feet on the ground and start moving, even if not everything is out of boxes and the baby has just started teething. (I didn't actually plan for that moment to coincide with a new year, but I suppose it's rather convenient!) For one thing, our formal schooling really must start again. It's been...awhile. And that's ok for a time, but I think everyone could stand a return to structure (or some semblance thereof). For another, my own daily routine and habits need a tweaking of discipline.

These are starting to sound like New Year's resolutions, which they absolutely aren't. I know better than to make starry-eyed determinations and expect them to start happening out of nowhere. And actually, I think we've already made some strides in the right direction -it's just getting my head out of the "once we get settled" mode that needs to happen. "Settled" is a relative term, anyway, especially for us!

No comments: