Monday, June 15, 2009

Camp

This morning I am preparing to drive Aimee and Drew to camp. This is Aimee's third year, and I don't think there are adequate words to describe her anticipation and excitement. When camp ends each year, she comes home and tells us about it for at least six months, then the next six, with some overlap, she talks about how much she's looking forward to the next year. Since this year is the first year Drew has been eligible to go, she has been pumping him up for months, telling him everything to expect - pretty much coming close to laying out his whole camp itenerary for him (which I think she would do for him if they let her). In addition to being excited about it on his own, I think Drew has never even been allowed by his dear sister to think about the possibility of not going. Dave and I have explained everything overnight camp entails (usually out of Aimee's earshot, so she can't weigh in), and he does seem to be making a conscious decision on his own accord, so we let have let him proceed with plans to attend, although I confess I am more nervous for him than I ever have been for Aimee. But even though he is not GIDDY with excitement, he is matter-of-fact about this whole camp thing, and seems to carry his own brand of confidence. But will he ever brush his teeth, and will any of his clothes make it home? Aimee has been working on her packing lists for weeks; I showed Drew his yesterday, and he said, "Yeah, yeah," but I know he'll never look at it.

So because I am having a slightly harder time sending Drew (not because I love him more, of course - just because he's a different kind of person than his super-confident and outgoing sister), I offered to be part of the church caravan down to camp. I'll have my little ones, and several of the boys who are going, Drew and my nephew Tiernan (coming in from out of town) included. I used to attend this particular camp when I was younger (like 19 years younger, was my first year - yikes!), so I will be greeted with a rush of memories, mostly happy, when we get there. But I don't think I'll have too much time to indulge in those, as I get the kids to where they need to be. Aimee, though, while happy that I am taking her this year, wants to be clear that I am NOT to fuss over getting her settled in, and, heaven forbid, I am not to linger. And I'm pretty sure that Drew will be caught up quickly in the fun of a whole cabin full of boys his age, so I probably won't linger there, either. So then the little boys and I will hie ourselves home to a week of just us three. I'm sure I'll be posting about that later this week!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm sure they're doing well in camp by now. :) Just goes to show you how well-adjusted your kids are, that they can go away at their ages!