Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Camp Update

Yesterday I delivered Aimee and Drew to camp, as planned, and I left them both looking happy and well. I dropped Aimee off at her cabin first, and she was fine with me seeing her in, but was immediately ready to get the good-byes out of the way. I asked her if she wanted me to make her bed for her and help her get her things settled, and she said, brightly but firmly, "No thanks. You can go now." Her counselors, one of whom went to camp with one of my sisters way back when, seemed to be a good fit for her, and some of the other girls from our church were in her cabin, so she was set almost immediately.



I took Drew over to his cabin next, and there was no counselor there. My sister and I got Drew and Tiernan's things set up for them, and tried to make sure they knew where everything was, but the boys were so excited and distracted there's no telling if they actually hear anything we said. Finally I just told Drew that if he needed anything it would be in his bag, and if couldn't find it right away, he should just look harder. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if most of his clothes go untouched all week, and the bars of soap are never opened. Even Aimee, who is more concientious, came back her from her first year having only used one pair of the shorts I packed for her and having only taken one shower. I don't think her hair had been touched all week. After all that freedom, she was like someone who had been abondoned on a desert island for a time - a little wild and nearly untouchable. But gloriously happy. It's a good thing, I think, for everyone to enjoy a little freedom from whatever hum-drum rules encumber them, which is why it would never do for me to be one of Aimee's counselors, as, mother-like, I would probably insist on things like showers and hair brushing. As for Drew, who requires even less maintainance, I envision him coming home smelling not so fabulous - but his clothes still clean - afer a week of all the activity and general "boy-ness" he can handle. I only hope he's ok at night, when things settle down and he might have a chance to think about being homesick. I'm glad his cousin is there with him, to take the edge off any of that, if he should feel it at all.

So here we go. Ryan is up, and Chase will soon follow. When we arrived back home from camp last night, they were WILD, and I hope it was just a reaction to a long, hot day filled with hours of sitting in a car - and not an indication of the week to come!

No comments: