Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Successful Failure



Even aside from our "yes" day today, we took the whole week off from school. So, sorry kids, no spring break later - this was it.

Truth be told, the boys did watch a little more TV than usual, and certainly more superhero cartoons than I would every normally allow (or that their older sister would allow!). Even Scarlett watched Sesame Street twice, which is also something she never does, but which I allowed because when she saw it, she squealed and danced with glee. And it's awfully hard to deny a toddler something that makes her squeal and dance with glee.

But anyway, that's not all we did. We went to the library three times, went to the aquarium in Cincinnati one day, we finished Charlotte's Web, read in Lord of the Rings, read about knights, samuraii, Robin Hood, rocks and minerals, and dragons. We listened to books on CD, played games like Scrabble and Checkers, played with friends, and did all our usual activites at church. So I think it wasn't a lost week, after all. Of course, lest anyone think I'm painting an over-rosy picture, sometimes the boys were absolutely dreadful to each other. Sometimes I wanted to hide in the closet. I was already for bedtime. And you notice that I didn't mention any math, of which we did nary a thing.

We had the sort of week we probably would have had whether I had planned for the week off or not, but as I told a friend, I find it helpful to plan our failures, as it were. If I know we're going to have a period of time in which it's unlikely we're going to get much done, I always feel much better about it if I plan for it in advance. Of course, it's probably better to say that this a good way to plan for success.

No comments: