Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Grammar, History, and Latin

Grammar

Since I've already posted recently about how we typically do grammar, I won't dwell too much on it now. Drew and Ryan are both officially working their way through their respective levels of First Language Lessons, which I use mostly as a guide for what they should be studying at a given time. Aimee, who worked through the series in a more by-the-book way (which style she prefers), is now doing Rod and Staff's Following the Plan. She began level 5 late in our previous school year, so she's still finishing the book as we began this school year. I really love this grammar program, finding it very thorough and rather exacting. Aimee, of course, dislikes it for all the reasons I love it. But since I don't think it's at all too difficult for someone who reads on a 12th grade reading level (at least), and since it seems to jive with her learning style, I choose to overlook her objections - lovingly, of course. I think the only way she would enjoy grammar (or admit to enjoying it - frankly sometimes I wonder if some of our difficulties over this subject are all part of a grand charade, but that's another post entirely) is if it didn't exist as a subject at all. I, for one, like grammar, and have always liked things like diagramming. I do - so there!

History

We tend to build much of the rest of our learning around our history study, as it's one of our collective favorite subjects, and can encompass reading and writing (and therefore all the other language arts), art, and even things like science. For our history study, we use The Story of the World as our "spine," as well as The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, and then, of course, we do all kinds of reading from whole books on whatever part of history we're studying. Now, I admit that when we first began going through The Story of the World, I was surprised that it was not based more strongly on a Christian perspective. Based on what I had thought I knew about its author, I would have expected some parts of it to be a little different. But that being said, I also know that if I try to find curriculum that lines up exactly with my convictions, I will have to look for a very long time. I could probably something that I might like better, but at this point, since I have all the books and activity books as well, I am (again - since I think this has come up before) too cheap to do a curriculum overhaul. So as I do with the rest of our books, I take what I can from what I have, and make whatever adjustments I see fit. That's also why I do a select few of the activities in the activity books, but snicker - nay, guffaw - when I see things like "Making a Sand-Cube Pyramid." Sand, glue...three boys...nope, not happening. So I use the activity book, as well as the Veritas Press and Sonlight catalogs, for reading suggestions and for other ideas that can help us in our history study. In the past few weeks, we've been doing a review of last year's study of ancient times, even doing some of the activities we didn't have a chance to do during our crazy year (except for the sand-cube pyramid!). This week we'll move on to the Middle Ages, which is what we'll be doing for the rest of the school year.

Latin (and other Languages)
"It is the parent or teacher who occasionally struggles with this course. But if you discipline your mind to master this material, then your child will master it also. If you do not have the discipline to really learn Latin, then your child will not have the example he needs" from Latina Christiana Book 1 Teacher's Manual (p. 71)

G U I L T

Here's the truth of the matter. Aimee knows more Latin then I do. I know I need to have some idea of what she's doing, but -perhaps unfairly - I do expect her to learn some vocabulary lists, when I know I don't have to memorize them all myself. And then sometimes when I realize that we haven't had covered something as thoroughly as we should have so that she can do a particular section of her workbook, I let her use the teacher's manual. My goal for the kids in their Latin studies is not for them to have a complete mastery of Latin (although they can pursue that if they wish), but just to have a basic understanding of it, as well as a boost for understanding vocabulary and language in general. Aimee is just wrapping up Latina Christiana 1 (we've been doing for some time, but have had to start and stop several times because of everything going on), and Drew is just beginning it this year. For Drew, though, I allow him do most of the workbook orally. At this point in his life I don't see a need to make his education long and tedious simply because he has a hard time focusing in front of pencil and paper. If he can tell me the answers out loud in 10 minutes, whereas it might take him an hour or more to get something done on paper, I almost always prefer it that way.

In the "other languages" category, we're all using Rosetta Stone Homeschool this year, and loving it. Aimee has wanted to learn Spanish for a long time, but I have some background in French, so this year I decided just to get both. Aimee is plowing away diligently at Spanish - she loves getting on the computer and going through the lessons at her own pace, and she's doing very well at it. Drew is learning French (and I'm going through it as well, to refresh my memory), and even the little boys occasionally get on and do a little of either language. We love, love, love this!

No comments: