Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"Why Do You Behave as You Do?"

Yesterday I read in Ist Kings, and I read where David's son Adonijah decided he was ready to be king, despite the fact that he hadn't been appointed the successor, and that his father wasn't even dead yet. The passage explains this bad filial behavior in saying that David "had never interfered with him by saying, "Why do you behave as you do?" I've read this before, but yesterday it struck me particularly because...well, because I have a son who prompts this question on a regular basis - and he's only four. I admit I'm not the best disciplinarian in the world, but at least I "interfere" and ask the question.

Often.

"Why did you go down the street and around the corner to play with the neighbors' kids? By yourself? Without asking?"

"Why are you in the middle of the library screaming at your brother to help you find superhero books?"

"Why are you riding your bicycle in the house? Why are you riding your bicycle upstairs?"

"Why would you jump in the deep end of the pool by yourself and with no floaties - when you don't know how to swim, and I can't jump in after you because I'm holding the baby? Why are you grinning at me as you hang onto the edge and I insist - in a firm but carefully controlled voice because we're in a public place - that you get out immediately?"

"Why in the world would you throw a handful of your dinner in the air?"

"WHY DID YOU PUT YOUR GUINEA PIG IN YOUR BEDROOM VENT?"

These examples took place in a 36-hour period. So yesterday, the day before, today, tomorrow and all day every day I pray hard for this dear boy - who, by the way, can also be extremely loving and helpful, when he wants to be. I pray that he won't turn out anything like the unchecked Adonijah - rash, stupid, and, in the end, cowardly - but rather more like wise Solomon.

Minus 999 wives, of course.



No comments: