Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mr. Hyde

Several months ago, I began elminating artificial dyes out of Drew's diet, and after a trial of a few weeks, I felt there was indeed enough improvement in his behavior to suggest he probably had a sensitivity. Dave was a little skeptical, but one night Drew had a complete meltdown that looked like a toddler tantrum, something he hadn't done in quite some time, and Dave asked what in the world he had done that day. I realized that it had been the first time in weeks that I had allowed him to have something with red dye in it, and after that Dave began wonder if there might actually be a correlation. A couple more incidents with the suspect color were enough to serve as proof for him, so that now he's takes as firm stance on Drew's diet as well (rather than just going along with another one of my weird notions!).

So closer to the present, when Drew was hurt, I went to the store the next day and carefully searched through the children's pain medicine until I found something without artificial color - or at least, nothing red and as little of anything else as possible. Then I went to the pharmacy and picked up his antibiotic and unfortunately, didn't think to look at it until I was almost home. It was, of course, very definitely pink. I was frustrated at myself, but since I had paid for it and wanted to get him on it soon, not to mention the fact that someone had come to babysit the kids so I could go to the store and I didn't know when I could get that again, I decided just to stick with it. I hoped that it would be a small enough amount that it wouldn't bother him very much. WRONG!!! By the second day he was demonstrating the classic signs of extreme irritability, and last night was particularly awful. It's sometimes difficult to describe his reaction, but last night I was thinking of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde - Drew reacting to artificial color is like him turning into Mr. Hyde. It's more than just a moment of disobedience or even a period of being tired; it's like the dark side of Drew unleashed.

He has seven more days of the antibiotic, and I don't know if we can last that long! I'll try, I suppose to call his doctor and see if we can switch to something else; if we can't, it will certainly be an interesting week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how something so seemingly minor can make such a big difference. My brother had a similar reaction to sugar. He became quite violent and irrational. I know my youngest must have protein throughout the day - unless you are prepared to deal with arguments and meltdowns! I'd rather not!

Jenny said...

Been there with the antibiotic before! We usually end up using augmentin b/c it's white. I've heard you can get a dye-free amoxicillin from a compounding pharmacy. If he can swallow a pill, that makes it a lot easier, too.

Glad you've pinpointed his dye sensitivity, though...keep me posted!

Hannah said...

Warning: RANT COMING ON!!!

I do NOT understand why they make so much children's medicine to contain dyes. It is nearly impossible to find OTC or prescription stuff without it! Here, this will make your kid better, but it'll make him toxic and manic at the same time! Have fun, folks!!!

Ian has the dye thing, too.