Friday, September 5, 2008

For Clarity

I was, perhaps not very clear in my post last night - I was really tired! (Of course, often I'm not very clear, anyway, but this time I did have a good excuse!) We have been to the ER numerous times, but mostly for Drew's respiratory problems when he was little, and then for Ryan's croup episodes as a baby. It was a long time, however, before we needed to go for an injury, and in the time period before we had a major injury, I did dread the time when that would finally happen. I knew it would happen, and happen often thereafter, but that knowledge didn't - and still doesn't - keep me from panicking a little at the sight of blood or other signs of moderate injury. We've had those kinds of injuries four times now, and I know more are coming, but I wish they wouldn't! And every once in awhile I think about the fact that we haven't had anything broken yet. We can't provide an environment safe enough to ensure that won't ever happen, or that no one will every need sutures again, so in thise house of boys I'm sure we'll hear that kind of "we're-headed-to-the-ER" kind of scream again. I can't brace myself for it or cushion the feeling of maternal terror that surges through me when I hear those kinds of cries, and that's something about mothering I could do without!

As for Drew, he's growing a little restless, but is still sore (in both his leg and his arm, now, the recipient of a tetanus shot late yesterday), and I think that helps him consent to resting for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And it's funny how moms know the differences between the "injured", "scared", or "mad" screams! I know the feeling of panic when it's the "injured" one!
courtney