Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Case in Point

I mentioned in my last post that, as usual, I am struggling a bit with how to balance scheduling and free learning. A perfect example came from Drew's studies last week. He's in 7th grade this year, so I'm trying to make his schedule a little more demanding. I actually don't know if this is a good idea or not, as he seems to do pretty well on his own, but still...responsibility and all that.

Anyway, on Wednesday evening of last week, he needed something to listen to at bedtime, and he found an audio copy of The Screwtape Letters in the library's ecollection. He really enjoyed it, and the next day all he wanted to do was listen to it. So annoying, because I was trying to get him to get his schoolwork done!

Sometimes I'm an idiot.

He ended up finishing it that day, and we discussed it that afternoon. Most of the day's assigned work didn't get done at all, and I really had to fight the feelings of stress that comes from having checklist that doesn't get addressed at all. In one feel swoop, we were behind on grammar, and spelling, and writing, and Latin - I had to readjust his whole schedule for the rest of the week and next...and pant, pant, pant...

Meanwhile, C.S Lewis.


No comments: