Thursday, April 3, 2014

In Which I Get a Taste of My Own Medicine

Last night I was helping Drew work on a report he had done on the Alamo. For being the walking encyclopedia he typically is, the one he had turned in was rather brief, and he had protested that there was just no way he could get three paragraphs out of what he knew. So I helped him flesh out the information he had written, into a more complete report. It was a bit painstaking (but it was still comprised of all his own words, just drawn out with a little guidance). I did resist the urge to say, "Let's say it this way..." and to get carried away rewriting the whole thing myself. What emerged from the process was a decent report, especially for his heart not really being in it (an understatement), but after we were done, I mentioned that I should probably write one myself, so he could have a better idea of what I am generally looking for in the future. I'm not great at many things, but I have been known to write a mean essay.

At my casual murmuring, Drew instantly perked up. "So can I give you a writing assignment?"
I said sure, because that would be neat twist to things. He said, "Okay then, I want a research paper on the Balkan Wars."

The...what? I mean, I know there has been such a thing, but I didn't expect him to have such a challenge at the ready. But a deal is a deal, so after I finish this, I guess I'd better start researching!

No comments: