Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Stacks of Books, Part One

In my last post, I mentioned that we have been to the library numerous times (two or three times a week), and that we have read through stacks of books. I'm not exaggerating. Stacks, and stacks, and some more stacks. In our very first days of freedom from school, all our readers began devouring books through hours upon hours of reading, as if we had all been starving. We hadn't - our learning experience revolves around whole books - but the freedom to read what we want and for as long as we want has been almost intoxicating. And, I should add, it means that learning hasn't stopped in the least. Some of us have even been writing our own books. Aimee has been working hours each day on a dystopian story, and I believe, still at the fantasy story she's been working on for months with a friend. (Both stories are quite good!).


 But back the books already in print - we have quite a few from the library around here, and they aren't collecting dust. This is our usual library basket:
But we have some books upstairs for bedtime reading convenience:


And a basket in the hallway for chapter book readers to choose from:







And a stack of required reading, also in the hallway, from which I would like Aimee and Drew to pick a book at least once a week. (This picutre just won't load for some reason.)

Then everyone has their own stack in their own room. Aimee always has quite a few in her room:


Drew has some:

And the younger boys always have an interesting assortment:
Of course, the Star Wars research is ongoing:


They also like to listen to books on CD, so we have a special basket for those as well:
And since we are on break, I have time for a good selection, too (these are tucked between my bed on the floor and the mostly un-used crib mattress - we're so stylish here):

And I have the latest Flavia de Luce mystery on my Kindle, courtesy of our library's growing digital collection:
.


So. Books, books, books, and more books. Recommendations later.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

What fun!

Ian is deep into the Ranger's Apprentice series these days; have your kids read those?

You'll have to tell me what you think of the new Flavia de Luce. By the third book, I was sort of losing interest, and the lack of any noticeable progress in he family dynamic was starting to wear, IMO.