Thursday, May 24, 2012

All the Special Things


Last night both Aimee and Drew had special dinners at church, to welcome them into the respective groups into whch they are graduating - Aimee into the junior high group, and Drew into the 5th and 6th graders group. For some reason, I am having a much harder time with the idea of Drew going into 5th grade than with Aimee going into junior high, but let's save all that for another day. In any case, since Dave will be helping with the 5th and 6th grade group next school year, he also went to dinner, so I decided to take the younger set to do something special, which for them means Chick-fil-A. Listen, I know there was an article that went around several weeks ago about how Chick-fil-A really isn't very great nutritionally after all, but I'm just going to say that I didn't feel guilty in the slightest about taking them last night, so we're just going to leave it at that. In fact, when we pulled into the parking lot, and I responded in the affirmative to the boys' queries about whether we were getting kids' meals AND eating in, their joy was postively contagious. It was easy, then, once we got our food and they began trying to decide whether to keep the toy or trade it for ice cream, to say that they could have the toy AND we would still get ice cream. At this, Ryan said, "Wow! We get to have ALL the special things!"

I didn't tell him that he was wrong, that really I'm the one who gets all the special things.










As we we walked out the door, Ryan said, "This has been the best night of my life," Granted, seven doesn't have much perspective, but I had to agree it was pretty great.




1 comment:

Let Love Grow said...

This just makes me smile. And want an ice cream cone. Now! Miss you all!