Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Really Good Awful Movie

So. Dave and I both read - and loved - The Hunger Games a good while ago, and after some begging from our oldest, and no small amount of consideration our part, we also let Aimee read the series. And then after further consideration, we also allowed Drew to read the books (one at a time, judging his reactions after each one). He read the first one, then grew bored somewhere in the second, so stopped there. Then when we found out that a movie was in the works, we were all excited, and when the two kids who had read the books asked if they would be allowed to see it, we agreed to consider it. And as the movie's premier approached and we did some research about it, we made plans some time ago that all four of us would go see it in the theater (a special treat for us!).

And you know, I realize that the series is certainly not for all kids that age. I completely respect the feeling that a good many parents we know have, that the books might be a little much - or even a lot much - for their own kids. I'm not at all getting defensive about that. Hopefully, I'm not getting defensive at all, actually. It's just that when the movie hype really grew, I started to hear a hue and cry from various places about how a book and movie based around the notion of kids killing kids is just awful. I agree that premise IS awful, but I was a little curious about that reaction, since the story is so much more than that, and in no way glorifies it. But then Dave happened to mention to some people that we were taking the kids to see the movie, which prompted some heated reactions. (I hope he doesn't mind me sharing this!) Someone explained it in this light, that with all the violence in schools, how could we expose our kids to - here it is again - kids killing kids? And then I wondered if that was behind a good deal of the negative feelings about the story. So that's what I'd like to address, using just my unprofessional opinion. (Take it or leave it.)

In the first place, I'll say that we really felt the violence was toned down in the movie. Some of the deaths were more detailed and/or more drawn out in the book, so it seemed to me that there was a rather conscious effort to make sure the violence wasn't a focus in the movie. In the second place, I'll agree - again - that the whole idea of annual "games" in which teenage participants are forced to leave their homes and fight to the death is terrible. But it's supposed to be disturbing. I don't know how much of a social statement Suzanne Collins wanted to make, but for our family, the social questions raised are part of what makes the series a good read.

What happens when a society loses itself in self-indulgence and entertainment? How does it happen that they lose their respect for values, to the point only blood can satisfy their cravings? And has that ever happened to societies before? Absolutely. ( Incidentally, have you ever watched reality shows? Like them or not, you have to agree that a constant question raised is, "Where is the moral line? When does the game cross into real life?" And you have to realize that ratings increase where there is drama, particularly drama based around bad behavior.)

What happens when a government becomes all-powerful? How do they convince a society to give them that power? Is it all force, or do citizens willingly hand it over to some degree, in exchange for comfort, safety, or even entertainment?

What happens people when confronted with life or death situations? (What would happen to YOU?)

I thought the book and the movie both did a great job at looking at these things, particularly the last. Some people simply wanted to survive, some wanted justice, some wanted to protect, and some did gave way to the brutal, blood-thirsty pack mentality. And would that - does that - happen in real life? YES. We read about it as we read through history. We even read about it in the Bible (which is not a book for the faint of heart). So we want our kids to be confronted with these questions. Obviously there's a line (which, I readily agree, we draw somewhat inconsistently), and we want them to read a variety of genres, mixing light and heavy fare. But even in this somewhat "heavy" fare, we find redeeming the virtues of honor, courage, love, and justice. The "games" are painted as an abhorrent practice of an evil government, and those tributes who become violent and blood-thirsty are denounced. Nothing about "kids killing kids" is glorified in the least.

So I don't see the possibility of this spurring any teenagers toward furthering the problem of violence in the schools. I don't think my own children will become dark and homicidal. And because I know them well, I don't even think they'll have nightmares about anything they've read or seen about this story. Of far greater concern to me is the diet of mindless entertainment and poor literature available to kids and teenagers today, in which heroes are teen "idols" and book and movie characters are crass and disrespectful. How easy it could be for a young person's morals and values to become dulled, and then corrupted, as their impressionable minds and souls are numbed by nothingness. So good literature and stories in which the best of qualities are encouraged is far, far better to me, than poor literature and garbage media in which mediocre and poor qualities are celebrated, even when the former contains some violence.

Coming full circle, I am not trying to convince anyone that they should let their children read or watch this, nor am I claiming to be an expert in the causes of real violence among young people in our society. These are just my observations, based on our choices for our family. And to conclude, I'll add that we all really enjoyed the movie, as well as the time spent together!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Thoughtful insights, Anne. I appreciate them greatly, especially as we're considering whether to let Ian read the book(s).

We saw the movie on Saturday. Blog post (movie review) coming later today!