Sunday, February 21, 2010

Winter Birthdays

I mentioned in my last post (which wasn't, it seems, too cheesy after all - thanks!) that I am enjoying the anticipation of a baby's arrival along with the coming of summer - that as things come to life and bloom, we'll be closer to the day our new little one will arrive.

So it HAS been a pleasant experience, one I haven't had in ten years. But the births in between have had their own perks, the last two giving a happy boost to the stereotypically grey and tedious month of February. And thus my (late) homage to my little boys, Ryan and Chase, who share the birthday of February 15th. To be more specific, of course, they are two years apart, and we have to make it clear that we celebrate TWO birthdays on that day, but still, those two birthdays always give a bright lift to the winter, as they did this year. For one thing, Ryan, who celebrated turning five, had spent the previous months creating a contagious spirit of anticipation for his birthday. "How many more days until my birthday?" - every day for countless weeks and months! And indeed, how could we not be excited for our clever, entertaining Ryan? But how can he be five already? I still remember the very first time I looked into his deep blue eyes that looked so amazingly knowing for a baby - an old soul, some call it.

Chase did not count down the days to his birthday this year, but then, that might not ever be his thing - where Ryan is intensely focused and always thinking, Chase is, while no less intelligent, a more carefree sort. Actually, he's a loose cannon, a wild thing, a happy daredevil...who scares (and sometimes just infuriates) months off my life but then adds them back by being so loving. His first words to me in the morning are usually, "I love you - you're so cute!", and then he crinkles those ridiculously gorgeous eyes in his most endearing smile...and I'm ready for another hair-raising day. And I frequently think back to his first moments, ones that reflected his personality even then - how he made a funny little squeak even before he was completely out, and then once he was born, he latched on vigorously, nursed for an hour at least, then belched heartily like a much older baby. Always ahead of the game, believing himself to be older than he actually is, he hasn't slowed down...or indeed, even stopped moving, since.

Happy Birthday, Ryan and Chase!


(And how I would love to post pictures with this! But alas, both our computers are down for different reasons, and I'm Dave's work computer this weekend.)

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I've always thought it was so neat that your boys shared a birthday -- what are the chances?? I hope they always get a kick out of that.

Jenny said...

Happy birthday to them both. :)