Friday, October 16, 2009

First Language Lessons

I just noticed that Hannah wrote her own review of First Language Lessons, and she is probably quite right! As I commented on her post, we take what we need from FLL and leave the rest, because it can be quite repetitive. I just assume it's like any other teacher's manual, directed toward the lowest common demoninator,and by that I just mean it is written as if the teacher doesn't know a thing about grammar or how to teach it. Knowing something about grammar, and knowing that my kids pick up definitions without having to repeat them 3 times...and 3 more times...oh, and let's say that together 3 times AGAIN, I use the book as a "spine" and do not read the dialogue straight from it.

We also play games at dinnertime (not to be outdone!) like choosing a letter and then assigning parts of speech to each member of the family. We all think of an appropriate word starting with that letter, then put them together in a silly sentence. There are also fun books like, "If You Were a Verb," the author of which I can't remember but will post later if I do, that we have used at times.

No comments: