Sunday, January 6, 2008

"At the Beach" (plus a little more)

I found this while sorting through some things the other day. Aimee had written it in the car on the way to the beach this past summer, and when I had seen it at the time and wanted to share it, she wouldn't let me. Upon rediscovering it, however, I asked her again, and she agreed this time. It's written on paper with some quirky lines that probably helped her shape the poem, but it's still pretty clever and creative, I think. I'm copying it here exactly as she wrote it, which adds to the charm:

at the Beach
by Aimee P. meester
the sun shining
wer playing
with a ball.
having a fun
time. swimming
in the sea.
crabs skutaling
to and Fro.
the fish are swimming
all day long
wev enjoyd are [our]
visit to the
Beach and we
Hope you will to!
Some tidbits from the boys: Upon learning that the twelve days of Christmas are real, Drew faithfully kept track of each day, and would often remind us that Christmas wasn't over yet. When he woke up yesterday he crawled into bed with us and lamented with all seriousness, "This is the worst day of my life!" Surprised, we asked him why, and he explained, "It's the twelfth day of Christmas! It's over! We have to take the tree down!" He was genuinely upset about this all day. He did find some joy on occasion, however, such as when teasing Ryan in the car later on the way to Wal-Mart. On TV he had heard something about leeches, and so when trying out this new addition to his vocabulary, he naturally thought it was funny to annouce to everyone that Ryan was leech. We smiled, but told him it wasn't really polite to call names. He stopped, but a few seconds later, Ryan, who must have been thinking this over, suddenly protested indignantly, "Drew called me a weech, but I not a weech - I'm a Wyan!" Granted, this was far funnier in person, but still...

No comments: